Polaris Children’s Services are now running a service in South Gloucestershire for young people displaying harmful sexual behaviour.
Our Service Will:
- Assess children and young people in South Gloucestershire from 12 up to the age of 18, and if appropriate, offer a therapeutic intervention programme which will consist of a tailor made plan to address the concerning behaviour
- Offer advice and support to family members, carers and support networks
- Offer consultation and training to South Gloucestershire Professionals including ongoing consultations
The child/young person:
- Has an allocated/named professional, with exceptions to be agreed
- Is supported by a significant adult who is also willing to participate in the programme
- Is considered to be living in a safe place to participate in the intervention programme
To Understand and increase safety our assessments will include:
- A full referral discussion
- Any relevant information including any previous harm related behaviour and previous assessment reports provided by lead professional
- Discussions with professionals involved with the young person including social care, education and health
- Meetings with the young person and parents or carers
Our assessment report will present:
- An analysis and understanding of the presenting harmful sexual behaviour
- A current resources profile
- Recommendations for the young person, parent/carer and network to increase safety at home and in the community
- Recommendations regarding further therapeutic work if needed
- A child and family friendly letter describing the above for the family to take home
Following the completion of an AIM or ERASOR assessment we offer a bespoke therapy programme. This programme will be designed with the referring social worker to help address the underlying trauma or anxieties in the child and family which led to the harmful sexual behaviours. Our therapists aim to promote recovery and strengthen skills for safety with the child and family.
We will work with the network, the young person and their family in a combination which will best suit the child and family.